Bidens – The Versatile, Long-Blooming Herbaceous Perennial
Bidens cultivars (Beggarticks) is a versatile and prolific blooming herbaceous perennial. It is in the daisy family (Asteraceae) and has a classic daisy flower. It can have a single, semi-double, or double bloom. The classic color is yellow, but the blooms can also be white, pink, orange, or red. The flowers are fragrant with a sweet, honey scent that bees and butterflies adore.
Bidens are a great addition to your garden. Whether you want to spruce up your pots with a bright, long-bloomer or a plant to trail over a retaining wall, Bidens are a great choice. They also work successfully as a ground cover and in hanging baskets. Bidens will remain green year-round in the Bay Area’s mild climate, continuing to enliven your yard from spring through to the fall.
Their bright blooms are enhanced by attractive, soft, feathery mid-green foliage, which always looks fresh and new. However they are also tough plants and are drought-tolerant once established and very easy to grow. Plant with taller perennials, such as Echinacea and Penstemon for a beautiful summer display.
USDA Zones: 8-11.
Planting and Care for Bidens species
- Plant in full sun or part shade. Bidens like at least 4 hours of sun a day for abundant blooms.
- Plant in soil with good drainage to avoid root rot.
- Mix in compost rich in humus.
- Preferred pH is lightly acidic to neutral.
- Fertilize regularly with an organic general purpose fertilizer such as E.B. Stone Organics All Purpose Plant Food.
- Water regularly for healthy plants and a long bloom period.
- No need to dead head, plants will look good throughout the growing season without pruning.
- Cut back after blooming in the fall or winter to reinvigorate plants and improve appearance for the next season.