In honor of Cinco de Mayo and all of the delicious fresh salad greens coming out of your garden, here’s a zesty Taco Salad recipe to try this month! Get creative with all your favorite toppings. You can mix and match all different types of greens for this salad too: spinach, arugula, lettuce, mizuna, cabbage and kale will all be delicious!
Recipe thanks to the Pioneer Woman
For The Dressing:
- 3/4 cups Ranch dressing (bottled Is fine)
- 1/4 cup salsa (mild,medium, or hot)
- 3 Tablespoons finely minced cilantro
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons seasoning (taco seasoning, or your own mix — try garlic, cumin, and chili powder)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 head green leaf lettuce (or a mix of garden greens), finely shredded
- 3 whole Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 2 whole avocados, diced
- 3 whole green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Tortilla chips of your choice, slightly crushed
Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a bowl and stirring together. Cover and refrigerate.
Next, make the chicken: Generously season both sides of the breasts. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken on both sides until deep golden brown on the outside and done in the middle, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then cut it into cubes.
Place the ears of corn in the skillet you used to cook the chicken and roll it around so that the flavorful oil/butter mixture coats the corn. Grill it on a grill pan or cook it in a separate skillet until the corn is still crisp but has color on the outside. Slice off the kernels with a sharp knife and set aside.
To assemble the salad, pile shredded lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, corn, avocado, green onion, cilantro, and crushed chips on a big platter. Drizzle the dressing all over the top, serving part on the side if you’d like.
Serve it in individual bowls.